Caramelised pear with dates and avocado mousse
Recipe type: Desserts
- 2 ripe pears – peeled, cored & each cut lengthways to create 8 wedges
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 150g cream cheese
- 4 fresh medjool dates, pitted and quartered lengthways
- ¼ cup of orange juice
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup Amaretto liqueur (or you can use rum)
- ⅓ cup of pistachios to garnish
- Cut avocados in half; remove seed and scoop out flesh. Place into a food processor along with cream cheese, orange juice & maple syrup. Blend until smooth, creamy & no chunks. Place in fridge until needed (can be made the night before)
- Put the castor sugar in a heavy based frypan over a medium heat. Using a swirling motion, gently move the sugar around until it has totally melted and has become golden brown. Reduce heat to medium-low & be careful not to burn or you will make toffee!
- Add pears (be careful not to come into contact with melted sugar!) and continue to swirl the sugar around to coat the pears. This can be tricky, but persevere because the end result is worth it.
- Pour in Amaretto (or rum) and swirl to incorporate. Simmer for 2 minutes until syrupy and the pears are tender
- Remove from heat & add dates. Allow mixture to cool for 5 minutes.
- Divide ⅓ of the avocado mousse evenly between 4 dessert glasses
- Divide ⅓ of the pear mixture evenly between the glasses
- Repeat layering with remaining avocado and pear mixture
- Garnish with pistachios to serve