Fear Free Crumpets
- 2 ½ cups of sifted plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of caster sugar
- 1x7g sachet of dry yeast (2 teaspoons)
- 300 ml of luke warm non-dairy milk
- 300 ml of luke warm water
- ½ teaspoon bicarb soda
You will need a large non-stick flat frypan or skillet and at least 4 LARGE egg rings - I use one purchased from a restaurant supplier. It is 2.5cm in height & 10cm across and has a handle
- In a large mixing bowl combine sifted flour, salt & yeast.
- Pour in warm non-dairy milk & warm water & mix into a thick batter until well combined
- Cover with cling wrap & sit to one side for an hour – it will rise into a sticky mess!
- Using a spoon re-mix the batter to remove any air
- Add bicarb of soda and mix well. Re-cover and stand for a further 30 minutes. After 30 minutes mix before using. It will reduce the look of your batter by half. This will make approx. 12 crumpets
- Heat your non-stick frypan on low (wait until this is warm before you commence cooking)
- Lightly oil your cooking rings & place on warm frypan & allow to warm through
- Add two heaped tablespoons (or less if your cooking rings are smaller) & using two knives quickly spread out mixture evenly (Don’t heap it in. The batter swells during the cooking process)
- Allow to cook for 10 minutes (check at the 8-9 minute mark)
- They are cooked when bubbles start to form & the surface is dry. If the top is a TINY bit damp, don’t worry. Remove from heat & it will harden (Do not be tempted to flip them!)
- Great eaten immediately or toasted later. Best kept in the fridge, covered.