Beer & Sausage Soup
Recipe type: Vegan Soup, Mains
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 jalapeno chilli, seeded & finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon crushed ginger
- 800g can diced tomato
- 375ml of beer (I used Asahi – it’s vegan)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup dry roasted peanuts
- 4 vegan sausages (I used Tofurky beer flavoured - any vegan sausages will do)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon dried coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Cracked pepper & salt to season
- Fresh coriander to garnish (optional)
- Quickly brown sausages in a frypan & slice thinly. Put to one side. (Dry roast peanuts if needed).
- Heat oil in a large soup pot adding onion, garlic, jalapeno & ginger. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, beer & stock. Bring to boil, reduce to a simmer & cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Add sausages, ¼ cup of peanuts & coconut milk. Return to the boil & then simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in dried coriander, parsley, lime juice & salt & pepper. Simmer uncovered until warmed through.
- Serve with remaining peanuts sprinkled on top & fresh coriander (optional).